So you have decided to leave – here’s wishing you the very best in what must have been a HUGE decision! Depending on how far down the line you are there must be so much to think about and do to make this big move happen. Obviously we are here to talk about what to do with your property. It may seem like an easy and obvious choice, but as you move along you may find many aspects that influence that choice or decision and it may not end up being that obvious.
Your decision boils down to “do I Sell or Rent my house?” The sooner you can make this decision the better, you will need more time than you think! Chances are the seemingly obvious decision is to SELL – after all you said that you are leaving, right? OK, so what do you need to take into account?
Firstly, we are unfortunately in a Buyers’ market right now and sales are generally slow and cheeky buyers are making cheeky offers and looking for desperate sellers in order to find bargains. Then, are you leaving for good or is there a chance that you are coming back? We all seem to know someone who has packed up and left for good, but have ended up coming back after a few years for various different reasons. Other factors to take into account:
- What is the supply and demand for houses in your suburb? Some suburbs are flooded with houses for sale and very few buyers are looking. Other suburbs still have strong demand for houses within certain price brackets.
- What is the price/value of your house? The market is stagnant beyond certain prices in certain areas and quite active below other ranges.
- Do you have a Bond to settle?
- How negotiable are you on that price that you have in your mind?
- Is there anything that you can do to your house to make it more attractive to sell?
How to get your property ready for a sale: https://www.etchellsandyoung.co.za/estate-agents-in-johannesburg/property-advice-for-sellers/prepare-your-property-for-a-sale
Now what if you have decided to rather RENT your house until the market improves – or for any other reasons? That’s great, you don’t have to go through the pain of selling right now, but don’t fool yourself, you also have a lot to consider and think about:
- Firstly, do you know what the rental demand in your suburb, for your type of house is?
- Is your house “tenant friendly”?
- Will you be leaving it furnished or unfurnished?
- What is the correct rental amount to ask for?
- Are you up to speed with the latest rental legislation?
- How are you going to manage the rental and tenant from overseas? Or have you rather budgeted for a professional rental company to take the hassle out of your hands and do it for you.
So, whether you have decided to Sell or Rent (or still need to make that big decision), contact us ASAP so that we can help you and take one big item off your plate during this difficult and pressured time. Our experienced and professional agents (Rental or Sale) are standing by to help, provide advice and answer your questions.